At present a requirement exists for following items in one lot:
1. Forecast of future port volumes
2. Lead times for the delivery of the new infrastructure
3. Assessment of capacity within the port system
4. Profiling of risks and threats
5. Recommendations of potential measures to improve capacity development within the Irish port system
6. Methodology that can be replicated in future assessments of port capacity
The purpose of the study is to assess capacity within the Irish port system to meet present and future demand. The study should also assess likely response times in meeting demand increases and differentiate between capacity increases that can be delivered through operational efficiencies and those that require significant new infrastructure investment by the port. The study should also take into account international best practice in the ports sector.
The Irish ports system can be defined as the network of ports that combine to provide port services. Given the inter-dependency between Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland ports, the study must also take account of capacity in the Northern Irish ports network.
In the event that Brexit results in the re-imposition of hard borders, current trade patterns and modalities may change. In assessing future demand, the study should evaluate capacity under different scenarios that take account of such changes.
A full technical description is available in the attached Invitation to Tender document.