Castle Point & Rochford CCG is seeking providers who can provide high quality Vasectomy service in a community setting, to improve patient experience/access to community services, patient’s choice and to avoid unnecessary referrals to secondary care.
Aims and objectives of service
The aim of the service is provide the safe delivery of a high quality vasectomy service, including pre-operative counselling, in a safe, clean community setting.
• To provide a high quality, cost effective local community vasectomy service
• To provide services that complies with accepted best practice, relevant accreditation processes and relevant guidelines in clinical practice.
• To provide an opportunity for men’s Health Promotion
Service description/care pathway
The service will consist of four stages as follows:
Appointment Booking System
Once a referral has been received and prior to all consultation, all patient will receive:
• Written details of the date of the appointment for pre-vasectomy counselling
• Instructions on the location of the appointment
• Written information on what to expect
Stage One: Pre-vasectomy Counselling
The Provider must offer counselling appointments at a variety of times and days, so as to meet the needs of patients who may wish to access the service. The Provider must ensure that counselling appointments are available up to 14 days in advance. Pre-vasectomy counselling sessions should be delivered to both the patient and their partner.
The counselling session should inform the patient of the purpose of vasectomy and determine the patients understanding of the procedure and decision that is being taken.
Evidence of the understanding of the counselling should be obtained from both parties. The document should cover: