The Community Dental Service aims to ensure that vulnerable people of all ages have access to appropriate dental care. The provider will be required to:
• Provide dental services with a community and preventive focus within a budget, with clear and monitored pathways, for a minority of people of any age whose oral care needs (that may be on-going or part of a single treatment plan) cannot be met through other local NHS primary care dental contracts due to their other special needs (medical, physical or behavioural). Barriers to services for these groups will be addressed by providing specialised skills, facilities and/or flexibility to meet the individual patient’s requirements beyond the capacity of general dental services.
• Deliver cost effective, evidence based oral health improvement programmes integrated with wider work commissioned directly by local authorities.
• Undertake epidemiological field work to collect data for Essex, Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock to the national standard.
• Offer dental services through sedation and general anaesthesia to the defined patient group.
• Provide a comprehensive domiciliary service for patients that are house-bound.