High Speed Two (HS2) Limited ("HS2 Ltd") is responsible for developing and promoting the new high speed railway known as High Speed Two ("HS2"). HS2 will initially run between London and Birmingham (Phase One) but will subsequently be extended northwards to link Birmingham to Manchester and Leeds (Phase Two). The route 50 miles North of Birmingham is known as ‘Route 50NB’, which HS2 Ltd may carry out to extend the railway 50 miles further north of Birmingham.
Phase One Lots
The Phase One civils works have been divided into the following seven work packages on a South, Central and North geographical basis (as indicated by the reference number in each case):
• Ref. S1: Euston Tunnels and Approaches – the tunnels between Old Oak Common and Euston stations, the Old Oak Common station box and the Euston station approaches (Lot 1);
• Ref. S2: Northolt Tunnels – Old Oak Common Tunnel, Northolt Tunnel, Victoria Road Crossover Box and Northolt Tunnel West Portal to Harvill Road (Lot 2);
• Ref. C1: Chiltern Tunnel and Colne Valley Viaduct – Colne Viaduct, Tile House Chiltern Portal, Chiltern South Portal and Chiltern Tunnel (Lot 3);
• Ref. C2: North Portal Chiltern Tunnels to Brackley – Surface Route and Calvert Maintenance Depot (Lot 4);
• Ref. C3: Brackley to South Portal of Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel – Surface Route (Lot 5);
• Ref. N1: Long Itchington Wood Green Tunnel to Delta Junction and Birmingham Spur – Long Itchington to Delta and Birmingham Spur, including Washwood Heath Control Centre (Lot 6); and
• Ref. N2: Delta Junction to WCML tie-in – Main Line, North Chord, Leeds Spur and Birmingham Spur East (Lot 7).
Each of these work packages will be the subject of a separate Phase One MWCC. HS2 Ltd intends to enter into seven Phase One MWCCs with interested parties ("Tenderers") selected pursuant to the process launched by the OJEU contract notice.