Level 2 oral surgery will be secured on the basis of the Approved Provider. In accordance with Approved Provider principles, there will be no guarantee of activity or payment to accredited providers/performers.
I. The Provider of Level 2 oral surgery service will receive a fixed payment of £150 for each episode of care (from first appointment to discharge).
II. The Provider of Level 2 oral surgery service will be entitled to claim a payment of £40 for an appointment resulting only in an assessment where the treatment is not undertaken/completed.
The successful Provider(s) will need to demonstrate that they can deliver service(s) of a continuously high-quality, and it our expectations are that the Level 2 Oral Surgery Service will offer:
• reduce referrals into secondary care ;
• ensure patients are treatment within 18 weeks;
• prevent inappropriate referrals from GDPs;
• identify training and education needs of GDPs;
• increase the access of oral surgery services across the whole of the county;
• ensure that patients are treatment in the most appropriate setting;
• to enhance preventative and quality services to patients;
The Essex Area Team is responsible for a registered population of approximately 1.8m, with urban and rural localities. It contains some small pockets of high deprivation.
During 2013/14 a review of oral surgery referrals has been undertaken to identify the appropriateness of treatments undertaken in secondary and primary care. Three ‘levels’ of care are now recognised, and the publication of a national commissioning guide is expected shortly, describing a Level 2 service delivered by dentists with enhanced skills, is imminent. Level 2 oral surgery will be a range of procedures to be confirmed nationally.