The Department of the Environment (the Department) has a statutory responsibility under Article 52 of The Road Traffic (Northern Ireland) Order 1995 to promote road safety. Under this provision, the Department of the Environment must prepare and carry out a programme of measures designed to promote road safety with a view to reducing the numbers killed and seriously injured on Northern Ireland’s roads. One way in which the Department of the Environment fulfils its statutory responsibilities is through promotion of road safety and delivery of a range of road safety initiatives in nursery, primary and post-primary schools.
Within the post-primary sector, the Department of the Environment actively promotes the timetabling of Road Traffic Studies and GCSE Motor Vehicle and Road Users Studies.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENT
The contractor will be required to:
- Supply up to a maximum of 40 mopeds
- contact the local Road Safety Education Office and the teacher identified as the delivery contact for the school 48 hours in advance of the proposed delivery date.
- deliver each moped to individual schools included on the delivery schedule;
- provide basic operating information to the teacher taking delivery e.g
- How do I start this machine?
- Where does the fuel go in?
- What fuel do I use?
- Where do I check/add the engine oil?
- Where are the brakes?
- How do I accelerate?
- And any other operating procedures considered necessary or answers to any questions that the teacher may ask.
- Obtain a written receipt of delivery