This project is to undertake a programme of strategic sampling to assess phosphorus concentrations and evidence of nutrient enrichment, to answer the following questions:
• What is the state of compliance with the total phosphorus target across the SSSI?
• Are levels declining compared to previous EA surveys conducted 2001 -2009?
• How quickly do total phosphate levels decline as water from the River Parrett flows through the system? Is this decline at the expense of the biological quality of the ditch communities?
• Are there any other significant inputs of phosphorus to the system (eg. contamination of smaller water courses feeding the site; small discharges)
• How does site management (eg. penning for Raised Water Level Areas and ditch dredging) affect phosphorus concentrations?