The contract requires archaeological consultancy services in advance of construction of the N59 Maam Cross to Oughterard road scheme in the Maam Cross to Bunnakill Sector (5 km), from chainages 255900 to 260900, extending between Lurgan townland and Bunnakill townland.
Stage (i) Test Excavation and Survey Services shall be required for the following:
- excavation of test trenches in seven (7 No.) specified areas of peatland as set out in the drawings forming part of the contract documents
- measured survey and hand-testing of an early 19th-century kiln and sectors of an old road (disused)
- site clearance of weeds, scrub and trees on the kiln site
- surveys of miscellaneous other features including old road remnants (c. 1820–1830), a schoolhouse and a Victorian shooting lodge
- scientific dating of samples from excavated archaeological features by radiocarbon dating or other agreed method
- a range of environmental protection measures as specified and especially to prevent contamination of lakes and watercourses
- reporting and analyses on all of the above as specified.
Stage (i) Services shall be carried out for a fixed price lump sum, as tendered, with separate fixed price lump sums tendered for any relevant Stage (i) sub-stage services.
Stage (ii) Pre-Excavation Services—including but not limited to hand-cleaning, recording and fencing of archaeological sites in preparation for full manual excavation at a later stage and preliminary reporting on same—will be required for any archaeological sites discovered, confirmed or otherwise identified in the specified areas (above) during Stage (i) Services.
Stage (ii) Services shall be carried out on the basis of a fixed price lump sum determined by the Contracting Authority, according to rates per square metre for Stage (ii) as tendered.
The Archaeological Consultant may also be appointed Project Supervisor for the Construction Stage (PSCS) at the discretion of the Contracting Authority and Tenderers sh