The conservation and consolidation of the Rathfarnham castle outbuildings at Rathfarnham castle, Rathfarnham road, Dublin 14.
The purpose of the project is to conserve the outbuildings and yards on the site of Rathfarnham castle, and to prevent further deterioration of their condition. The proposed project consists of:-
1. Temporary Works
- Shoring of the existing walls, bracing of the existing openings, and
- Spraying with biocide of all grass and shrubbery, cutting and de-frilling of the base of the stems of ivy and other creepers, cutting down trees and poisoning of the base of their roots
- Removal of this material from site and disposal of same, and
2. Permanent works:
- Careful removal of all dead vegetation, creeper tendrils, grubbing up and removal of main tree roots (secondary root systems will be left to decay naturally), and disposal of same
- Careful gathering and sorting of fallen masonry from around the ruins for salvage and re-construction into the works.
- Consolidation of the ruins including: raking out of defective mortar joints, re-pointing with new pointing mortar, taking down and reconstructing, facing out and grouting of wall cores
- Localised re-construction of parts of the ruins
- Dismantling and localised re-construction of the wall tops, laying of new lime mortar flaunching fillets on the wall tops
- Laying of gravel on a weed suppressant membrane on parts of the yards and building floors to prevent future colonisation by vegetation.
- Construction of new roof structures and roof coverings to the buildings
Full restoration of the buildings for a new use is not the purpose of these works. The buildings will not be accessible to the general public on completion of the works.
The Applicant must demonstrate that he or she has completed three conservation projects of a similar size, nature, scale, complexity and value and within a similar timeframe during the past five years. As a minimum requirement, applicants must demonstrate that they have successfully com