The Track systems on the Luas network consist of different types of trackworks including embedded track, ballast track, slab track, green track and plinth track. This Procurement leading to a single party framework agreement is for the Embedded Track rails replacement only.
The embedded track system is formed by grooved rails (RI59N type) encapsulated in a suitable and electrically resistant rubber profile, with or without fasteners (clips) and sleepers, and embedded into reinforced concrete up to the top of rail. While the lower part of the rail (approx. 70mm) is embedded in the main structural concrete slab, the uppermost part of the rail (approx. 110mm) is embedded into the so called concrete shoulders, two reinforced concrete upstands of approx. 100mm height and 150mm width. The rest of the road surface is either formed by asphalt or imprinted concrete or granite setts.
This framework, when set up, will be available to the authority who will draw down from it through a call-off contract basis. The call-off contracts, when issued, will be for the purposes of carrying out the following activities:
1. Developing a detailed construction design associated with the objective of replacing the rails,
2. Developing the specific programme of works,
3. Developing the specific methodology – location based,
4. Developing the Traffic Management design – to be approved by the relevant Local Authority, TII and the Luas Operator,
5. Interface with Luas Operator and Maintainer as required,
6. Carrying out all the necessary works to replace the worn rail (generally one rail only per track), generally the outer one in curve. Those works will include all preparatory works and all closing out works to make good the track and affected adjacent portions of the road,
7. Produce the Safety File, and
8. Any other associated works required by the Client.